Although rodents are portrayed as cute and cuddly on kids’ movies and shows, they are anything but. When rodents enter a home, they can bring with them a range of diseases and these can affect both humans and animals. The average female can birth up to 60 or more pups a year, leading to a major infestation. Due to this, it is a must to get rid of mice.
The best way to get rid of mice is prevention. It is important individuals understand rodents are in fact very dangerous to your health and the well being of your family. Not only can they bite and infect a person, but exposure to their waste products can also lead to illnesses. The following are some of the diseases carried by rodents.
- Rat Bite Fever
Eliminate and get rid of mice by preventing mice from getting into your home and walls, seal any holes that could give pests and rodents entry into your home. Cover any gaps with mesh wire to block pests and mice from entering the walls of your home.
Wild rodents pose a true threat to humans and animals and a home is no place for them to reside. Rodents are more likely to enter a home during the colder months of the year because they try to seek shelter, food, and water.
How to Get Rid of Mice in a Home and Apartment
- All it takes is one pregnant rodent or a male and female to start an infestation. Most people will not see a mouse or rat unless they have an infestation because these creatures like to hide, only coming out at night. The most common sign of rodents is the appearance of droppings in an around your home or apartment. The following steps can help homeowners to get rid of these unwanted pests and mice in your home and apartment.
- One of the first steps homeowners need to take is to eliminate all entry points in your home or apartment. Mice can squeeze through an opening that is slightly smaller than a dime. Sealing all cracks, crevices, and holes in and around walls and entry points is essential. Doing this to get rid of mice in your apartment will be easier than in a single-family house do the square footage.
- To catch a mouse, using the right baited mouse traps can help to get rid of mice. It is important to use a bait that will entice the rodents and stay in place. Despite many cartoons, surprisingly, peanut butter is a better choice than cheese. Using mouse poison pellets are also an option.
- To catch or kill a mouse, mouse poison pellets and pesticides can and should be used when there is a large population of rodents. However, caution must be taken regarding the use of mouse poison pellets and pesticides. When the pets ingest the pesticide, they can sometimes die behind walls and under flooring, creating a terrible smell for days or weeks. Hiring a professional pest exterminator can be useful to avoid these unpleasant situations.
- Proper sanitation is vital when it comes to making a home less attractive for rodents. Mice can live on 3 to 4 grams of food a day, so even a few crumbs will keep them alive. While proper sanitation will not eliminate a current rodent problem, it can prevent a new one from occurring. Keeping your apartment or house free from debris and unsanitary conditions will go a long way in your pest management program and ultimately getting rid of mice.
The best way to get rid of mice and rodents is prevention. Mice and rodents need to be removed from a home as quickly as possible, so they do not grow in numbers. It does not take long for rodents to multiply. Taking the above steps will help to ensure the rodent population in a home or apartment is safely and effectively removed. With proper sealing and sanitation, rodents are less likely to gain entrance.
If you need professional assistance in how to get rid of mice in your home or apartment, any number of qualified pest exterminators are more than willing to help. You can find the best professional pest exterminator near you today in our directory.